Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dinner and Toasts

Dinner and Toasts

When we got up to dinner, I was a little concerned about seating as I saw folks starting to squeeze up together, but I talked to myself and told myself that someone else would fix it.

We did dinner buffet style (leaving plates on the buffet, but silverware and glasses on the tables). There were pitchers of water on the tables as well as wine, and beer, lemonade and iced tea at a self serve bar on the side.

We didn't do assigned seating except for the head table so we were sure WE would have a place to sit. I loved being a part of the action and not alone with my bubbs, but away enough that our photographer captured both of our favorite shots from the wedding.

My brother ended up MCing the toasts and they were wonderful. My best friend, sister, BUbb's brother, my dad, step mom, and a couple other relatives made speeches. We only had one awkward "rachel getting married" speech, which is still talked about today, and I had a hilarious Uncle make a plug for his restaurant in his speech. I did ask my friend and sister to prepare toasts as well as Bubb's brother, but everyone else got up there on the spot.

*diy speaker system: the lake provided one sound system down by the lake for dancing, so my dad brought an amplifier he had laying around and a microphone and just set those up outside the house. It was free and a great easy solution for toasts.

Dinner was beautifully set up (though I wasn't thrilled with all of the colorful flowers strewn about after the fact, but in the moment I kept saying "it's so beautiful" in my post ceremony bliss) and most of it was delish. The local tri-tip was to die for.

(food photos NOT by Sabine Scherer, or how it was set up on the buffet)

I had secretly picked up one of our favorite bottles of expensive wine on the way up, so I surprised Bubbs with it and we drank that at dinner for a special treat, though the wine the guests enjoyed was another one of our favorites as well.


(I'm cooking a baby right now and that photo of dark red yumminess makes me CRAVE red wine)

Two big bummers with rentals: I ordered 10 glass pitchers for water on the tables and they delivered plastic ugly ones, the other was that I asked the rental place for large white porcelain bowls for serving dishes and again we ended up with ugly plastic. Shows you that you really need to double check that stuff if it matters. It didn't end up mattering at all.

The other big bummer was that the Lake staff was supposed to move the port-o-potty out of the way, but I guess they forgot, so it is in some of the photos as well as the caterer's truck. I was bummed about it a little during the dinner, but got over it quickly and don't think about it at all at this point.

When dinner was about over, my brother picked up the microphone and invited everyone to bring a bottle of wine from the table and their flowers down the hill for pie and dancing. I didn't ask him to do that, but he was so cute and it was a great idea (more flowers!) and really added to the group fun dynamic of the night.

4 comments:

  1. I looked for months for the perfect location and when I finally found it on vrbo.com, I started scouring the web for anyone else who may have had their wedding at Leonard Lake. I may have also cyber stalked you (not in a creepy way) trying to find this blog for more tips (I saw you mentioned it on indiebride)! So when I searched today for "how to make your own ukiah wedding map" I was thrilled to see its back! I cant tell you how much these posts mean to me and my partner. We are planning our wedding at the same location next summer for 100 people! I knew from the moment we booked it was going to be a ton of work for such a unique venue, but we knew this was perfect for us. I also live in SF! Super excited to see any additional posts/advice you may have on vendors/setup, etc! Thanks again for your blog reposts!!! Your wedding was truly amazing and inspiring to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm glad you found us!

    I got my domain name stolen from me (weird, I know), but after having a ton of LL couples looking for help, I decided to put it back up!

    I have a weekend away from the baby this weekend for a work thing, so I'm hoping to get pics up then. Check back in a week for more!

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi gigi- we are evaluating catering companies. do you have any suggestions? thanks again for all your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly I didn't get pics up as I promised :) I'll work on it. Send me an email at timlovesregina@gmail.com and I'll email you back! I've had a bunch of people email me with this question :)

    ReplyDelete