Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Getting ready with a tired two year old

Getting Ready with a Tired Two Year Old

After I got to my sister and friend's cabin (bloody mary in hand), I plugged in the hot rollers to warm up. I had practiced my hair quite a few times. My practice runs were with an old hot roller set of my mom's, but for the wedding, my sister brought her larger, newer set (with a lot more rollers).

I watched this video a few months before to learn how to get the right kind of curls and practiced. The video was VERY helpful.

After teaching my sister how to get the back up in curlers (while my brother-in-law desperately tried to get my niece to take a bath or a nap), we sat down for some makeup time.

I did my face makeup, but left my eyes to my sister (who has some mad eyeshadow skills). I don't seem to make it dark enough for photos.

We had planned to have Sabine, our photographer, take 'getting ready' photos of both of us, but I got a little insecure and just went on getting ready without the coordinator letting her know I was ready.

I was a little nervous and didn't want a stranger in there with us. Now that I know Sabine, I wish I would have made a different choice, but luckily, my best friend took a couple pics.


I was in "go" mode at this point - nervous about timing


My perfect niece using what she calls "beauty" and what my husband calls a "torture device"


Watching as a line of cars starts to drive up the path to the ceremony site


No lip color for me, just plain ole carmex

When we were done with my makeup, my sister gave my curlers one last INTENSE spray, and we took them out. I wasn't thrilled with the result. They were way less "soft" than my trial runs, but there wasn't much to do about it at this point, so I decided just not to look in the mirror again.


I had made my own fascinator (or distractor as my husband call it), and had always planned on wearing it with the flower behind my ear and the "veil" over my eye. Last minute, I decided to flip it around. I just went with it.

I was supposed to leave my dress hanging for a "dress pic", but decided to put it on. Right after I put it on, a couple of friends drove up, our photographer walked in, my mom came into the cabin we were getting dressed in and my sister asked my niece if she wanted to put on her tutu.

I held my breath. My niece over the last four months had screamed whenever we brought her tutu near her.

She nodded her head and SMILED as she put it on! I totally broke into my first tears of the day - I was so thrilled.


Sabine Scherer Photography


Sabine Scherer Photography

My best friend pinned me into my dress (after running around for a safety pin for 20 minutes).*

Sabine took a couple more photos inside, and it was finally time to get my groom!

Up next: First Look Double Take and Portraits

*never EVER ignore advice to have an emergency bridal kit ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment