Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Our Homegrown Schmoop

Our Homegrown Schmoop

(All photos by Sabine Scherer)

At one point we realized that our vows were very concrete, they didn't talk about how much we loved each other, but they were promises we were making. We decided to add a "schmoopy" section where we would profess our love to each other openly before the vows.

I forgot mine. Yup - I forgot my schmoop. I had printed it out, and remember putting it in the book with our vows, but somehow it got misplaced. I didn't get to read it during the ceremony. I was so proud of it and had been compiling it for the months leading up to the wedding. Here they are (I gave them to him after the fact and posted them on our wedding website after the fact).

Since we’ve been together good things just happen.

It’s because I’m with the person I’m supposed to be with.

When we met, I was settled into myself, figured out what truly made me happy, where I needed to be, and what I needed to be doing.

Then I met you.

And nothing changed.

I got to keep being myself and being true to myself, but now I get someone to share my life with.

I love you because you understand and share my meaning of life.

I love you because we share the same dreams.

I love you because of your sense of justice and your commitment to fighting injustice.

I love you because you suggest having “the cousins” over and call my mom when you read a poem she’d like.

I love you because you write lullibys for Darian when you hear she isn’t sleeping well.

I love you because you buy all your clothes at thrift stores, but can easily spend $40 on a bottle of wine because you know what really matters.

I love you because you can write a song that gets me through a difficult time – and it really works.

I love you because you would give up anything to be with me.

Because I love you, I would give up anything to be with you.

Even though we love each other enough to give up anything for each other, neither of us would ever ask the other to do so.

I am greatful that you grew up in a world like mine, full of unconditional love.

I am thrilled that we found each other and thrilled that I get to become a family with you today.

I love you – let’s get married.

After I blubbered out "I love you, I love you, I love you, I can't believe I forgot to bring my schmoop", Bubbs, pulled his moleskin notebook from his jacket pocket and read his.

I love you for so many reasons, and in so many ways that writing this has been almost impossible.

My journals are full of lists of the reasons: like the time we rolled down the windows and sang Christmas carols at the top of our lungs at every red light in the city; like how you know how to make me stay in bed when I’m sick and bored; like the way you commit to something and put everything you have into it—whether it is putting together a protest in the city, or a wedding, or even a picnic in the park with Darian. I admire that when you want something—it happens. I could go on and on but we have the next 65 years or so for you to inspire me to write songs about how I love you.

So, I’ll sum it up. Besides being crazy, irrationally in love with you, I love how we are good friends, a good team. I love how well we work together when there is a problem; how well we celebrate when it is time to celebrate; how on the normal, everyday days we talk about our days, and eat popcorn and watch documentaries in bed, and rub the knots out of each other’s neck, and listen to each other like good friends do.

You’ve made me the happiest I’ve ever been, and I hope I can keep making you as happy for the rest of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment