Wednesday, August 17, 2011

DIY Flowergirl Dress OR Make Your Own Tutu

DIY Flowergirl Dress / Make your own tutu

My niece is one of my favorite people on the planet. She was an automatic flower girl - and by that I mean - I really just wanted to pick out her outfit.

When I started searching for flower girl dresses I came up with a LOT of cute dresses, but they were expensive. Some were hundreds of dollars. Which seemed insane for a dress she would wear once.

One of the most important things to us during the planning of our wedding, was that we not put our guests in a situation where they had to spend a lot of money to enjoy our wedding. The economy has hit our family and friends hard - we wanted them to come party and not think twice.

I LOVE Etsy.com. When I started searching there for dresses, I came up with the idea of making my own tutu for my niece. When I was a little girl I would have LOVED a tutu.

I did a google search for "make your own tutu" and found this.

Tutu making seemed easy!

I purchased the tulle (for about 7 dollars) at a discount fabric store in the Mission District in San Francisco along with some elastic. I alternated different colors. It took about ten minutes.

When I brought it for my niece to try on she screamed and hated it (it did look a little scary). She's also not old enough to like dress up yet (but she does love belts).

We tried to have her try it on several more times, but she just didn't want it. I bought her a cute white shirt and cute brown shoes at Target and hoped for the best. Her mom brought her easter dress as a backup.

Fast foward to two hours before wedding. I was in my dress, ready to get pictures taken, and it was time for my flowergirl to put on her dress.

She put it on. Then found my mom's black high heels and started walking around saying "look at my SHOES"

I started sobbing.

I think my quote was "Yay - you made gigi happy! You look so pretty" and I truly was :)

No comments:

Post a Comment