Wednesday, August 17, 2011

We had an eco-friendly wedding because it was cheaper

We had an eco-friendly wedding because it was cheaper

I have google searches set up to look for key words. The Wedding Industrial Complex is setting up the eco-friendly wedding movement to be more expensive, but it doesn't have to be, and it shouldn't be.

http://www.oakmonster.com/2009/07/11/what-the-fad/
--------------------------
“My friend is having a green wedding,” an acquaintance said.

Everyone present chimed in. How cool! How exciting!

Of course, being me, I piped, “Ah! Green wedding. Also known as just another wedding that cost twice as much.”

“Well, they’re using all these recycled materials and stuff. You know, being really green about the whole process.”

I chuckled.

The acquaintance, at this point, was getting annoyed with me. “Well, she’s a very environmentally conscious person. They want their wedding to be good for the environment.”

Having a “green” wedding because it’s trendy and then you go right back to live your normal, not-so-green life? What’s the point? Well, I guess with a “green” wedding, you can now show everyone just how socially responsible you are.

------------------------
Part of what made our wedding so wonderful was how sustainable it was, but it took research, time and commitment,and we had a green wedding and put up our entire family for a very reasonable amount.

I didn't understand the value of a "wedding" until I had one. I wanted to elope, but after having a weekend long, community building, love surrounding event - I'd do it again in a heart beat.

I made a joke at a toast at the wedding- but it was true:

Part of why our wedding was green was because we cared, but it was mostly because we were cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment